Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-implications-on-ipv4-nets-03.txt> (Security Implications of IPv6 on IPv4 Networks) to Informational RFC

On 04/01/2013 06:14 PM, SM wrote:
>>  prevent them from attempting to connect to an IPv6 address and
>> failing is not broken DNS.
>
> If there isn't any IPv6 connectivity it is useless to query for AAAA RRs
> as the host is not going to establish an IPv6 connection.  Instead of
> looking at the problem from that angle the proposal uses a "middlebox"
> (not the correct term) to change things.  Once it becomes best practice
> to tamper with DNS there is one more problem to solve as you can no
> longer rely on DNS working according to specifications.

Welcome to the real world:  That cat has been out of the box for years
(no matter whether you consider that a problem, or a feature).

FWIW, my TP-LINK router does that, even if I don't want it to.

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks