Re: Less Corporate Diversity

On 3/21/13 8:23 AM, Martin Rex wrote:
> As I understand and see it, the IESG is running IETF processes,
> is mentoring IETF processes (towards WG Chairs, BOFs, individuals
> with complaints/appeals), and is trying to keep an eye on the
> overall architecture, and put togethe the pieces from reviews
> they obtain from their trusted reviewers, such as directorates.

They also gatekeep the work.  If they don't believe that something
is a problem, whether it because it's outside of the experience or
expertise, or it really isn't a problem, it doesn't get chartered,
it doesn't get sponsored, and it doesn't get published.  If
everybody serving that gatekeeper function comes from a similar
background (western white guy working for a large manufacturer)
it's going to tend to create certain biases in the work that's
taken on.

Melinda