Re: Please review draft-housley-rfc2050bis-00.txt

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 5:20 PM, joel jaeggli <joelja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 3/18/13 6:04 AM, Ole Jacobsen wrote:
>>
>> I am wondering if the draft should mention that Local Internet
>> Registries (LIRs) may sometimes take the form of National Internet
>> Registries (NIRs) since this is now a reality in some places?
>
> All of the "NIRs"  I've encountered can be construed as LIRs under the terms
> of the definition of LIR in that region. apnic and lacnic I belive
> specifically recognize the term.

As much as I dislike the entire term NIR I see it exist already on the
"top"/"root", to quote from http://www.iana.org/numbers

"Both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses are generally assigned in a hierarchical
manner. Users are assigned IP addresses by Internet service providers
(ISPs). ISPs obtain allocations of IP addresses from a local Internet
registry (LIR) or National Internet Registry (NIR), or from their
appropriate Regional Internet Registry (RIR):"

I see APNIC are using it
(http://www.apnic.net/policy/operational-policies-nirs/text), are
anyone else? All I see is just yet another level of
administration/control?

--

Roger Jorgensen           | ROJO9-RIPE
rogerj@xxxxxxxxx          | - IPv6 is The Key!