Re: Nomcom off in the wilderness: Transport AD

    Dave> And I have a further suggestion, which some other folk and I
    Dave> happened to have discussed privately some time ago and
    Dave> unrelated to the specific TSV situation...

    Dave> There's an option available that the candidates might want to
    Dave> consider, to facilitate the public review of candidate
    Dave> qualifications:

    Dave> Candidates fill out a questionnaire for Nomcom review.
    Dave> Roughly, it has two parts, with one that is available to
    Dave> Nomcom and the appropriate Confirming Body, and a second that
    Dave> is withheld from the Confirming Body.

    Dave>      Candidates could choose to circulate the first part
    Dave> publicly.

I think having a public discussion of specific candidates would be
undesirable.  Because Russ's message was posted while the nomcom process
is ongoing, we're already in a situation where it feels like where we're
publicly debating whether a set of named candidates are preferable to an
empty seat.  I understand russ dworked as hard as he could to avoid
that.  However, it's reasonably obvious that it's impossible to avoid
that and if you read comments in the ietf list, it's actually true that
the community has taken it to that level.

Now, perhaps there are folks in the IETf with egos big enough that
they're not phased by standing in front of the community while the
community debates whether an empty seat would be an improvement over
them.  I actually suspect knowing that can happen is likely to reduce
future candidate pools.  I know I'd almost certainly withdraw from the
process rather than face that.  This process has reduced my willingness
to consider future nominations; pressuring candidates to release their
answers to questions would do so further.

--Sam