Re: Appointment of a Transport Area Director

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Eliot Lear <lear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mary:
>
> On 3/4/13 6:51 PM, Mary Barnes wrote:
>
>> [MB] I don't think anyone has said an AD could be a manager with
>> little technical clue.  I think Sam said it extremely well in his
>> email.  What some of us have been proposing is that someone with
>> proven technical skills in another area that also is good at managing
>> projects/people could do a reasonable job.  From what I have seen this
>> has certainly been the case in other areas - i.e., ADs that don't have
>> depth of knowledge in all the WGs in their areas, but are strong
>> technical individuals in other areas.
>>

> I am very sorry to have to say this, but we are all dancing around the
> issue that we have experience of where the above has been shown to
> simply not work well.  And this is why it is important for a NOMCOM that
> gets into such a situation to do exactly what this NOMCOM did: consult
> with the IESG to determine the need to "have a body" versus have the
> right person.

[MB] I mentioned in another email that yes, indeed, we do have
experience where appointing someone that didn't have the depth of
knowledge did not work well. But, as I said in my email, I don't so
much think it was because the filling of the position with an
individual so much as it was the fact that there is no way for a
Nomcom to anticipate how an individual will actually behave once they
are appointed. We've had some exceptionally talented technical people
that have been appointed AD that haven't performed nearly as well as
one might anticipate.

Since, this is also the exact same situation faced by the Nomcom that
I chaired and the issue was actually highlighted in my Nomcom report:
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-barnes-nomcom-report-2009-00.txt
It's not clear to me that the IESG every seriously considered the
problem nor put a plan in place to avoid it in the future.  I don't
think anyone was surprised when Wes didn't re-up that it was going to
be extremely difficult to find the right replacement.
[/MB]