Re: IETF Challenges

Hi SM

comments below,

On 3/3/13, SM <sm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Here is a quote from someone in Africa who was involved in other I*
> bodies (not the IETF):
>
>    "Africa has many educated people with a great local perspective; however
>     they have little global influence.  I find that it is not enough to
> invite
>     people to forums where it is a known fact that they will not contribute
>     meaningfully."

I don't beleive that, but that maybe true if we know the reasons or
background of that experience,

> Abdussalam, I'll ask an unfair question: How will the Internet
> Society Chapters in those places contribute meaningfully to the IETF [1]?

It will be meanigful contribution if there was advise, willing, and
guide from the IETF, but I never claim I have solutions just thoughts,
it can be another challenge answer to the question by this thread,

> At 05:05 03-03-2013, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>>My experience is that there is a huge difference between different
>>WGs. Some I have sent email to without response, then actually
>>emailed the WG chair and asked if the topic of my email was within
>>the WG scope, still no answer. This is an example of an WG that's
>>hard to get into, seems populated by people who mostly discuss
>>within an already established group and where nobody seems to bother
>>that someone comes in with an idea to even give them a reply that
>>their idea is not on topic or alike.
>
> Yes.  As an anecdote I had a somewhat similar experience.  It does
> not bother me and I am not inclined to do anything about it.

This is a discourage that the IETF SHOULD solve and monitor. If I was
an IETF chair I will fire thoes WG Chairs that don't respond to posts
on their WG list. Very discourage/wrong behavior of such organisation
that ignores an input or a participant.

>>Some other WGs are populated by people who are very happy to respond
>>and discuss to anyone who comes up with something, which is very
>> welcoming.
>
> Yes.

Thoes WGs are the stars of the IETF, which encourage and make the
challenges become innovation,

All the best
AB