Re: IETF Challenges

Hi Jari,
At 01:17 02-03-2013, Jari Arkko wrote:
In my new role, I thought it would be useful to start a discussion about the challenges we are facing,

One of the challenges is that it is difficult to reach consensus on non-technical issues. Several Area Directors have tried to address issues. It usually ended in failure. This is where people give up as it is not worth the hassle to "improve" the IETF.

One of the issues that might come up (I cannot predict the future) is the fading of institutional memory. The IETF is already experiencing icannization.

If the IETF has become very international it would be apparent from the mailing list archives. A quick look would show that there weren't any messages from people from China or Japan [1].

The main challenge, in my opinion, is to avoid the disconnect between the IETF and reality. The "code, interops" mentioned in the blog might help.

It is easier to publish a RFC than to prune one.  It has been said that:

  "Obsolete" in English can mean "no longer used"; as the IETF uses
  the term, it is closer to Merriam-Webster's second definition

Regards,
-sm

1. The statistics for Japan is skewed.