Re: [IETF] Re: back by popular demand - a DNS calculator

On Feb 15, 2013, at 5:06 PM, Patrik Fältström <paf@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 15 feb 2013, at 18:19, Joe Touch <touch@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> 	- the Bert version uses DNS strings that aren't valid
>
> Are we going to open again the question whether the DNS protocol can handle any value in the octets, as compared to the hostname definition that says something more limited? ;-)

Sure -- the DNS protocol *cannot* "handle any value in the octets" -- in fact, there are an *infinite* number of values it cannot handle *in the octets*. For example, it cannot handle 257. It also cannot handle 321, nor 19.3...

:-P

--
Don't be impressed with unintelligible stuff said condescendingly.
    -- Radia Perlman.