Re: Reducing time to publication: was Re: FW: Last Call: <draft-farrell-ft-03.txt> (A Fast-Track way toRFCwith Running Code) to Experimental RFC

----- Original Message -----
From: "John C Klensin" <john-ietf@xxxxxxx>
To: "t.p." <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "ietf" <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2013 2:44 PM

> --On Thursday, January 31, 2013 12:04 +0000 "t.p."
> <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Time to publication of an RFC can be reduced by cutting out
> > the pauses, which could achieved by highlighting when they
> > occur.
> >
> > This can be done by a tool which, for every active Working
> > Group, runs monthly and, for every draft adopted by the
> > Working Group, records whether or not there has been a change
> > and posts this list as an e-mail to the list of the Working
> > Group.  Where a new version has been submitted to Tools, then
> > this new version is listed with the date of submission.  Where
> > the status has changed, as recorded in the tracker (AD Review,
> > IETF LC, Publication Approved etc), then the new status is
> > listed with the date of change.  Where nothing has changed,
> > then this is listed with the date of the last change.
>
> Tom,
>
> This is interesting but could also introduce a pathology in
> which drafts are generated too frequently to encourage (or even
> permit) healthy discussion.  If one were going to do this, also
> collecting some statistics on how much (or whether) a given
> draft was being discussed on a WG mailing list might be very
> important.  New drafts and indications of motion like status
> changes may be good clues but what really counts for measures of
> progress and consensus is whether real discussion is going on.

Yes, drafts might be produced more often just to 'game' the system but
we have something like that anyway.  I often see drafts produced with no
changes simply because the previous version has expired.  Usually the WG
Chair or editor posts a note to that effect; if not, someone on the list
may ask and so the reason emerges.

Yes, a measure of discussion would be better, that might be the gold
standard, whereas my idea is only silver or bronze.  But I don't know
how to measure discussion in an automated way, one that places no
additional burden on such as WG Chairs or ADs.  So I see this as a step
in the right direction upon which others might build.

Tom Petch