Re: FW: Last Call: <draft-farrell-ft-03.txt> (A Fast-Track way to RFC with Running Code) to Experimental RFC

On 01/25/2013 03:27 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
> In the context of draft-farrell-ft, the above makes the idea of
> WG LC in parallel with IETF LC either irrelevant or bad news.
> If the WG Chair (or AD) concludes that a WG LC is needed, then
> the procedure should not be invoked.  If a WG LC is not needed,
> then organizing things so that one is conducted in parallel with
> the IETF LC risks having two discussions going on in parallel
> with comments made to the WG list not being exposed to the
> community (remember the days when IETF LC comments were
> routinely sent to the IESG and not to the IETF list?).   And, if
> the WG does conduct a WG LC, the document can be read as
> forbidding use of the FT procedure to condense and set timelines
> on the rest of the process (something I'd suggest fixing if we
> are going to go ahead with this).

That's a fair point and I'd be open to incorporating
a change to make that better if we are going ahead
with the experiment. I'll add a pointer to this mail
to the working copy [1] in a bit.

> All of this points out one of my main concerns.  Almost as a
> side-effect, the proposal formalizes a number of informal
> procedures and mechanisms work pretty well most of the time but,
> because they are informal, can be used flexibly without a big
> fuss.  If we are going to formalize them, we really should be
> asking questions about consensus, exception cases, and so on...
> and risk another several steps in the direction of trying to
> substitute procedures for judgment, responsibility, and
> accountability.

I disagree that doing an experiment formalises these things.
I do agree that more thought would be needed if the
experiment turned up something that we did want to make
permanent.

S.

[1] http://down.dsg.cs.tcd.ie/misc/draft-farrell-ft-04.txt