Re: Vestigial Features (was Re: CRLF (was: Re: A modest proposal))

Hi -

It was messier than that in other environments.  Yes, device drivers,
peripheral processors, or front ends commonly dealt with whether a
particular device needed CR, LF, NL, CRLF, or something else, and
how many NULs had to be sent in order to deal with device limitations
in processing those control codes.  But the more "sophisticated"
controls, such as VT, FF, and so on, also required delays on some
devices.  (I remember one device where VT would cause it to suck
paper back into the printer in order to return to the top of the current
page.)  Sequences for line insert, line delete, and region clears / fills
on some CRTs also required padding delays.  Some got seriously
confused if the padding was omitted.  However, dealing with this
issue was put painfully close to the user application in Unix-land.
Look for "padding" in the documentation for termcap and terminfo
for a glimpse into how convoluted things became.

> As I said, I wasn't part of the committee that did ASCII.   I do
> know that CR was extensively used, in both our terminal
> environment and in a number of ones involving line printers
> without LF as a way to arrange overstriking (for bold,
> underlining, and composed characters) on line-oriented devices
> that couldn't handle backspacing.   Again, that was mostly in
> the device drivers: an application program would see
>    xxxo<BS>'yyy
> whether that was transmitted or
>    xxxoyyy<CR>   '
> or, as mentioned earlier, whatever the first-character-of-line
> printer control sequence was that would yield the same result.

In our CDC shop, security was critically dependent on this.
Since the teletypes echoed everything typed locally, there needed
to be a way to prevent even a partially-typed password from
being visible.  This was accomplished by sending a sequence
that was something like:

Randy