Re: A modest proposal

On 1/21/13 11:34 PM, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
> It may seem to be very easy to agree with you on that point. However,
> the story isn't that simple as it first seems to be.

Complex problems often have complex solutions.  I think a lot of
people look at sendmail, for example, and go "GAH!" without
knowing much of the history of gatewaying between networks and
the rewrite rules that facilitated that.  But I also wonder how
hard we've worked at trying to reduce complexity in some cases.

The SIP thing is a little painful because at the time it was
brought to the IETF it was touted as a much simpler technology
than H.323.  And, of course, it turned out that ... complex problems
often have complex solutions and there's a reason why H.323 is
as complicated as it is (mostly).  Still, I wonder if we're just
tending to accept complex solutions a bit readily.

Melinda