Re: FW: Last Call: <draft-farrell-ft-03.txt> (A Fast-Track way to RFC with Running Code) to Experimental RFC

Hi Hector,

On 01/14/2013 05:05 PM, Hector Santos wrote:
> I have two concerns and comments:
>
> - How will success or failure be measured?  Number of appeal increases
> or lesser amount?  I have a concern that once this door is open, there
> will be increase appeals and also apathy of outcomes.  There should be a
> statement of what sort of problems or issues are possible and envisioned
> and the plans to deal with them or not.

RFC 3933 describes that I guess. Basically, if the IESG consider
it a success then they could make the RFC into a BCP or more likely
find a victim to write an I-D for that. That'd go through the
usual process.

I don't think this'll have any impact on appeals (hope not anyway),
and for me the main metric of success will be whether or not it
gets used, and if used, if the people involved in those drafts
think its worth making permanent or not.

> - The drafts indicates that fast tracking probably applies better
> towards BIS work.

Not really. Its says that -bis RFCs might be suitable.

> I cited concerns that this ideas should only be used
> for new work, not BIS work where there is already established
> implementators and working code.  I prefer to work in "No Surprises"
> environment where it doesn't require me to pay attention to all protocol
> change work to make sure nothing fell thru the crack or some group of
> vendors with their questionable "code" implementation different from the
> norm being mandated in new BIS work.

I don't get the concern.

> I only see this RFC being used to negate voiced concerns in the name of
> fast tracking, not win people over if they already have a problem with
> the work, especially if its BIS WORK.  But then again, maybe that is the
> intent.
>
> I believe the experiment should only be applied first to new protocol
> work, not BIS work and if so, iff there are absolutely no question of
> possible conflict of interest, rush to judgment and no new code change
> impacts.  Existing protocol implementers should not be put into a
> position, and worst within a shorter time period, to argue or just
> review what BIS changes made entail and force them into appeal actions.
>
> Perhaps the experiment can be done in two phases. I believe there is
> good in fast tracking new ideas and methods, especially if simple and
> one that most people seem to agree with with little concerns. Many
> vendors have much to contribute in this area.  So the first phase can
> explore only with fast tracking new concepts. If this works out well
> using some measuring tool, then BIS work can be better explored for fast
> tracking by gaining some insights from the first phase.

Ah, you're worried some WG will shoot out a -bis draft this way
and that existing implementers will miss that because of the
shorter timescale and no longer be "compliant" with the latest RFC?
Is that it?

To be honest, I can't really see that this'll have any impact
there. If the existing coder who'd be caught out isn't aware that
a WG is doing stuff then this will make no difference. If they
are aware that the WG is doing a -bis, then they can comment as
always before and during IETF LC. I really can't see this
experiment causing any real surprise in cases like that.

S.