Re: Last Call: <draft-farrell-ft-03.txt> (A Fast-Track way to RFC with Running Code) to Experimental RFC

At 07:14 11-01-2013, The IESG wrote:
The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'A Fast-Track way to RFC with Running Code'
  <draft-farrell-ft-03.txt> as Experimental RFC

ietf@xxxxxxxx mailing lists by 2013-02-08. Exceptionally, comments may be

In Section 1:

  "Additionally, the experiment will only require issues raised
   during these three stages to be addressed if they meet the
   IESG's Discuss criteria."

Does this mean that a document does not have to represent consensus?

  "In contrast, a "-bis" RFC that aims for Proposed Standard or
   Experimental is likely to be a fine candidate."

I read what the document proposes as lowering the barrier of entry for first publication. My preference is to say nothing about "-bis" RFCs (see quoted text). Some of the "-bis" drafts I have come across (note that this is not related to a draft being discussed currently) are not well-written even though there is running code. The running code might be due to author intervention instead of a blind test of the specification.

In Section 2:

  "Implementations developed during the production of an Internet-draft
   can indicate that a working group has had the opportunity to get
   early confirmation of its engineering choices."

Agreed.

In Section 3:

  "Any Working Group Last Call (WGLC) or Area Director (AD) review
  (which are routinely done, though not part of the formal [BCP9]
  process) will run in parallel with the two-week IETF Last Call
  (IETF-LC) period."

I am not suggesting changing the two weeks. It can cause logistical problems. I'll take the risk of trying this experiment.

  "Only comments that would be "DISCUSS-worthy" according to the
   IESG Discuss Criteria [DCRIT] need be handled during last call.
   Other comments can be handled or not, at the authors/editors
   discretion."

See my previous comment about this criteria.

In Section 4:

  "The fast-track process can be used for "bis" RFCs and might well
   be quite suitable for those."

I suggest removing this.

  "If the timers (IETF LC or the two-weeks after IETF LC for fixing
   things) co-incide with a major holiday period or IETF meeting
   then the responsible AD can add a week or two as appropriate."

I suggest not using the Fast-Track if it is less than two weeks before or after an IETF meeting. Some people only do IETF work during that period and that results in a spike. I don't think that it is a good idea for this experiment to encourage work during the meeting phase instead of the mailing list.

In Section 5:

  "An AD who wishes to do her review in parallel with Last Call is
   always free to make that choice."

"his" or a gender neutral term.

  "This memo itself has no impact on appeal processes.  However, in
   considering an appeal that relates to a document that has been
   fast-track processed, the relevant judge (WG chair, AD, IESG or
   IAB as appropriate) should consider the requirements posited here."

The WG Chair is not a judge in such cases as it would be his/her decision being appealed.

Some people are discouraged from bringing work into the IETF because of the long debates (which I likely contributed to). Big companies have an incentive to do work within the IETF. There is a perception in open source circles than there isn't much to gain in having a specification published as a RFC.

The young, free and wild will not listen to the fogies. The better approach, in my opinion, is not to act as a gatekeeper or encourage a wall-garden attitude.

Regards,
-sm