Re: Newcomers [Was: Evolutionizing the IETF]

On 11/15/12 3:15 PM, John R Levine wrote:
>> As Arturo says, having people that traditionally go to an IETF meeting
>> travel to (for them) far away places and (for them) new cultures, do
>> definitely open their eyes to how large our world is.
>
> I think that learning about other parts of the world is swell, but I
> don't think the IETF should be a travel agent.

Comparing with the ITU who does tour the world, organizing workshops in
far away places, I really think we should be trying a little harder to
be more open.

So far this entire thread would provide a nice argument for those
proposing more government involvement as clearly the multistakeholder
approach is failing the less developed economies. Given that WCIT is
starting in a few days, and that every country has one vote in that
thing, I think this kind of attitude is not helping us.

This is not my personal view, but that is how some may read it: the IETF
attendees are a bunch of 'ivory tower' engineers who can't be bothered
to fly routes with more than one connection or who firmly believe that
the business district in Sao Paulo is more dangerous/menacing than the
area around the Atlanta Hilton.

I want the IETF and the governance model it represents to succeed, I
firmly believe in it. However I'm not that blind and I seriously believe
we need to fix some things at home, or we are going to be easy prey for
those seeking to control the Internet.

regards

~Carlos