Re: Evolutionizing the IETF

On 08/11/2012 13:12, SM wrote:

> There is a direct contribution of US $2.2 million by the Internet
> Society next year.  Is the plan to rely on Internet Society subsidies or
> to fix the deficit?

I think that calling it a deficit is slightly misleading, since we are
a non-profit organisation. One of the reasons that CNRI gave up control
of the IETF Secretariat was because the IETF needed more income than
can be generated by reasonable meeting fees, to operate the various
services that are not directly related to the meetings. If we had to
cover those expenses out of meeting fees, the latter would have to be
more than doubled. Would you like that?

Personally I am very happy that ISOC sees supporting the IETF and the
RFC Editor as part of its mission, and even more happy that it has the
money to do so. I am also very happy that ICANN takes a similar
attitude to the IETF-IANA function.

   Brian