Re: FW: Affirmation of the Modern Global Standards Paradigm

On 15/08/2012 07:24, Eliot Lear wrote:
> John,
>
> On 8/15/12 12:03 AM, John E Drake wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does this document actually have a purpose, and if so, what is it?
>>

> To me (and I speak only for me here), the purpose of this document is to
> articulate principles that have made the Internet a success.  It is a
> means to invite others to subscribe to those same principles, and there
> are many standards organizations that do not.  Customers and society can
> demand better, and this is an avenue for that.

I take it that John's question is really *why* do these principles need to
be articulated in public. Perhaps the IAB should answer that, but my answer
is: because there is a real danger of some SDOs, including but not limited
to the ITU-T, breaking them for a variety of commercial or political reasons.

   Brian