Re: ITU-T Dubai Meeting

On 07.08.2012, at 00:02, Martin Rex wrote:

> Steven Bellovin wrote:
>>
>> Randy Bush wrote:
>>>
>>> whatever the number of address bits, if it is fixed, we always run out.
>>> memory addressing has been a cliff many times.  ip addressing.  ...
>>
>> Yup.  To quote Fred Brooks on memory address space: "Every successful
>> computer architecture eventually runs out of address space" -- and I heard
>> him say that in 1973.
>
> I'm wondering what resource shortage would have happened if IPv6
> had been massively adopted 10 years earlier, and whether we would have
> seen the internet backbone routers suffer severely from the size
> of the routing tables, if every single home customer (DSL subscriber)
> would have required a provider-independent IPv6 network prefix rather
> than a single, provider-dependent IPv4 IP Address.

... add to that: what would have happened if the IETF had not underestimated
the life expectancy of IPv4 address space so drastically and  consequently had
taken the time to design  a better IPv6  with things like wire compatibility
with IPv4, better routing and other features that make ISPs want to deploy it.
Ah - what if ....... . Amusing musings but not more than that.

Daniel