Re: [OPSAWG] Basic ietf process question ...

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) <dromasca@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The OPSAWG/OPSAREA open meeting this afternoon has an item on the agenda
> concerning the revision of RFC1052 and discussing a new architecture for
> management protocols.
>

> My personal take is that no one protocol, or one data modeling language
> can match the operational requirements to configure and manage the wide
> and wider range of hosts, routers and other network devices that are
> used to implement IP networks and protocols. We should be talking
> nowadays about a toolset rather than one tool that fits all. However,
> this is a discussion that just starts.

NMS developers need to spend too many resources on translating
naming and other data-modeling specific details so they can be
usable within the application.  So if 1 data modeling language
is not used, then deterministic, loss-less, round-trip translation
between data modeling languages is needed.  Multiple
protocols are not the problem -- incompatible data from multiple
protocols is the problem.

> Regards,
>
> Dan

Andy