Re: [dnsext] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-bis-updates-18

On Jul 30, 2012, at 1:18 PM, Richard L. Barnes wrote:

>>> MAJOR:
>>>
>>> 4.1.
>>> It's not clear what the threat model is that this section is
>>> designed to address.  If the zone operator is malicious, then it can
>>> simulate the necessary zone cut and still prove the non-existence of
>>> records in the child zone.
>>
>> The problem here is not a malicious parent operator, but "an NSEC or
>> NSEC3 RR from an ancestor zone".  In the original specification, an
>> attacker could use such an RR to prove the non-existence of some name
>> in a subordinate zone.  That was the problem.  (Remember, in DNS there
>> is a good chance that you are not talking to an authoritative server.)
>> If you have suggestions on ways to make that clearer, it'd be welcome.
>> The editors tried to come up with compact examples that would be
>> anything other than mystifying, and were unsuccessful.
>
> I guess I still don't understand this.  Aren't ancestors the only people that can generate a valid, signed NSEC or NSEC3 RR?  So if there were a bad NSEC[3], wouldn't it be the ancestor's fault?

This isn't about "bad NSEC[3]" RRs.  It is about an attacker (think "man-in-the-middle") using the valid, completely correct NSEC[3] RR from the parent zone in an inappropriate context.

> If the provisioning is *intentional*, then as I noted before, then there's not really anything to be done, since the ancestor can provide whatever information he wants for the child zones (as above).  So are you worried about *inadvertent* provisioning of these bad records?

Again, the record isn't "bad", but being used in the wrong context (either via a software bug or on purpose as an attack).  This section isn't about malicious zone operators at all.

I still don't have any great ideas for how to change the text to make this more clear, however.

--
David Blacka                          <davidb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Principal               Verisign Infrastructure Engineering