Re: Proposed Update to Note Well

On 6/22/12 10:03 AM, Stephan Wenger wrote:
> Strike "actively".  It's a loophole and adds no value.

Sure.

> I don't know how a "contribution" can be "controlled" by
> a patent.

Sure. I misread your earlier note.

> Using "related" as the broadest possible term that IMO
> may just be supported by BCP79:

BCP79 says "covered".

>    "If you believe  that a patent controlled by your employer
>    or sponsor is related to your contribution, then you must
>    disclose that patent."
>
> I'm quite sure that the term "believe" is appropriate.  It's not
> the Note Well that allows trucks go through, it's BCP79.  However,
> ignoring my own advice (stick to terminology used in BCP79) I may
> settle for "aware of":
>
>    "If you are aware of a patent controlled by your employer
>    or sponsor that is related to your contribution, then you must
>    disclose that patent."

Why is it limited to employers and sponsors? I might control it myself
directly, or just know that a patent covers it (BCP79, Section 6.1.1).

Keeping it as short as possible, I suggest:

   If you are aware that a contribution of yours is covered by
   patents, you need to disclose that fact.

OK, enough wordsmithing from me today...

/psa