Re: Proposed Update to Note Well

Hi Noel,

"Affiliate" is overly broad, and undefined and therefore not
supported by BCP79.  It cannot be reasonably expected of an IETF
participant to have an objective view of with whom he/she is affiliated.

One (the most?) common definition of "affiliate" used in contracts
results in a sweep in of any corporate entity that is controlled,
or controls, another entity, including individuals.  Recursively.
As there is no definition of "affiliate" in BCP79, we have to assume
such a common definition.

Now, I'm affiliated with IEEE, and so is John Doe, who controls a
patent of which I believe it may be necessary to practice a draft.
I happen to be aware of John Doe's patent because John Doe is a former
colleague of mine, but other than that, and our IEEE memberships, there
Is no other connection between John Doe and myself.  I surely
do not have an disclosure obligation based on our joint affiliation
with IEEE?

Using affiliate would IMO be a policy change through the back door.

I would rather strongly suggest to stick with vocabulary available in
BCP79.
The formulation used in BCP79 is "employer or sponsor".  Wordcount +=2  :-(

Stephan