Re: registries and designated experts

John,

On 2012-06-12 19:38, John C Klensin wrote:

> --On Tuesday, June 12, 2012 19:13 +0100 Brian E Carpenter
> <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> The above is at odds with standardization.  The last reason
>>> does not apply for Expert review.
>> I don't understand that statement. RFC 5226 says, in Section 2
>> about "Why Management of a Namespace May Be Necessary":
>>
>> "  A third, and perhaps most important, consideration concerns
>> potential    impact on the interoperability of unreviewed
>> extensions."
>>
>> One of the specific considerations for designated experts in
>> section 3.3 is
>>
>> "      - the extension would cause problems with existing
>> deployed         systems."
>>
>> It seems clear that interoperability is a primary concern for
>> any expert review.
>
> Brian, Subramanian,
>
> I've with Barry on this.  The details of the expectations of an
> expert reviewer, including the thresholds for approval, should
> be specified in whatever document sets up the particular
> registry.  One size does not fit all; "Expert Review" is a
> designation of a mechanism and not a set of criteria.

I completely agree. My point was only that the baseline set by
RFC 5226 is clear that interoperability is a criterion. The
details vary case by case and should be written down.

I also agree with what I think Randy meant - the designated
expert shouldn't be afraid to say no (or yes) in dubious
cases; that's why we designate an expert...

    Brian