Re: Future Handling of Blue Sheets

Tobias Gondrom <tobias.gondrom@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Russ,
>
> thank you for the information.
> In this case, my preference would be not to publish the blue sheets with
> the proceedings.
>
> Reasoning:
> The blue sheet data can at some point be used to determine movement
> profiles of individual attendees at the meeting to a finer granularity
> than today and therefore can be an issue for privacy (even though I
> recognize that this is a public meeting). The fact that we "may reduce"
> the amount of subpoenas is a viable reason, still personal data should
> be handled as conservative as possible. Without a significant and
> measurable economic advantage by the publication, we should rather not
> publish this data with the proceedings.
> (My underlying assumption is of course that currently our cost of
> subpoenas is not forbiddingly high compared to overall conference costs.
> If that assumption proves to be false, I would have to rethink my
> statement above.)
>
> Besides that:
> - am agnostic on whether we ask for email address or not (in the end I
> gave up on hiding my email address as a way to reduce spam...)
> - even without publication, we could still scan the blue sheets and
> maintain them in an electronic archive without keeping the hard copies
> (please note there may be legal requirements on procedures of handling
> non-paper copies that are later to be used in a court of law).
> - And if we would go to a Hiroshima/RFID model, the discovery in
> subpoenas could be much easier compared to scanned paper documents with
> handwritten names.
>
> Just my 5cents.
>
> Tobias

fwiw, i am with tobias all the way up to, but not including, the rfid.
i find it interesting that he does not like the publication of fine
grained personal location data by blue sheet, but does not mind a likely
much finer grained electronic one.

i see ourselves some years from now having electronic tracking of
whether X was in the room during which parts of the discussion.  do not
like.

randy