Re: IPv6 networking: Bad news for small biz

On Apr 7, 2012, at 11:43 PM, Randy Bush wrote:

>> Changing the message from "you don't need NAT anywhere" to "sure, you
>> can use RFC 4193 ULAs, just don't let us see them on the Internet"
>> would be a big help.
>
> in ipv4, rfc1918 space was needed because of address scarcity.  in ipv6,
> you could use global space inside a nat, if you need a nat.  we do not
> need to perpetuate the 1918 mess.

Not having to "buy" address space, or "lease" it from whatever ISP you're using at a certain point in time is a feature, not a workaround. RFC 1918 is only a mess if you need to make sure multiple organizational networks do not overlap. With the amount of subnets available in ULAs this should not be hard.

Yoav