Re: IPv6 networking: Bad news for small biz

In message <20120404212135.0E09A18C092@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Noel Chiappa write
s:
>     > From: Doug Barton <dougb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>     > My comments were directed towards those who still have the mindset,
>     > "NAT is the enemy, and must be slain at all costs!"
>
> In semi-defense of that attitude, NAT (architecturally) _is_ a crock - it put
> 'brittle' (because it's hard to replicate, manage, etc) state in the middle o
> the network. Having said that, I understand why people went down the NAT road
> - when doing a real-world cost/benefit analysis, that path was, for all its
> problems, the preferable one.
>
> Part of the real problem has been that the IETF failed to carefully study, an
> take to heart, the operational capabilities which NAT provided (such as
> avoidance of renumbering, etc, etc), and then _failed to exert every possible
> effort_ to provide those same capabilities in an equally 'easy to use' way.
>
> 	Noel

Most of the renumbering issues that remain are outside of the perview
of the IETF.  Hosts have had the ability to securely register
themselves in the DNS for a decade now.  Microsoft AD has hosts
register themselves using these mechanisms.  DHCP handles both
static and dynamic addresses.  Now we may want a way for a host to
register itself securely with the firewall.  That way when a host's
IP address changes the firewall gets updated.

Most of the renumber problem in people refusing to get out of the
way of automation.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx