Re: provisioning software, was DNS RRTYPEs, the difficulty with

Mark Andrews wrote:

> The incredibly huge base that returned NOERROR to type 28 queries
> when AAAA was defined.  Almost all of the offending boxes were
> designed after AAAA was defined.

When AAAA was defined is marginally relevant.  Since IPv6 was designed
as a completely seperate universe, it was flying below the radar
for most software apps developers for >10 years.  I was first bothered
about IPv6 in 2004.

Had there been versions of BIND exhibiting such behaviour?

I know that during its development, BIND sometimes adopted annoying
unnecessary backwards-incompatible changes that caused folks to
not upgrade.  IIRC, suddenly refusing to load zone with hostnames
containing underscores was one BIND change I remember from my early
days as DNS admin, that caused me to ignore BIND software updates
for several years (waiting for the "offending" hosts to die of age).

> Lots of them get responses to RFC 1035 types wrong.  If you don't
> implement the type then you can't load the zone if it contains the
> type, partial zone loads are not permitted as per RFC 1035.

"not permitted" would require a "must not", but
I only see a "should not" here:

> If you have loaded the zone then the type doesn't exist, so it doesn't
> matter that you don't implement it, you therefore can't match the
> type as per RFC 1034 so the answer is NOERROR or NXDOMAIN depending
> apon whether the name exists in the zone or not.

>From these discussions, your explanations and my latest reading of
1034/1035 I believe I have a hunch what might have happened (to our
internal DNS) when my w2k3 IPv6 stack freaked out...

It might be related to the particular fashion in which I originally
set up the private DNS universe as an intern in 1993.  And while I
joined development in 1995 and the tools I had written to to generate
the DNS zone files got replaced ~1999 with a commercial solution,
the structure of the private DNS universe seems to be still the
way I originally set it up.

Thank you for your patience and elaborate responses.

> > So if the behaviour (how to exactly respond to queries for unknown
> > QTYPEs) is neither explicitly specified, nor likely have been part of
> > the usual/common interop tests performed by the vendor,
> > what you're left with might be "ureflected&untested guessing"
> > on part of the implementors to fill those gaps.
> >
> > Bottom line, the receiver must be VERY conservative with assumptions
> > about what exactly can be infered from error responses for situations
> > that are fairly vague in the spec and potentially untested in the
> > installed base.  That is called "robustness principle".
>
> Which is why there are lots of SERVFAILs as you can't infer anything
> from NOTIMP.

Servfail is supposed to be a transient error.

What should a _new_ recursive non-authoritative server send as response
back to the stub resolver when it encounters a NOTIMP response from the
authoritative server for an AAAA query?

-Martin