Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-xdash-03.txt> (Deprecating Use of the "X-" Prefix in Application Protocols) to Best Current Practice

On 3/6/12 3:24 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 06, 2012 03:19:41 PM Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>>> I'm not quite sure.
>>>
>>> Is this supposed to be about how one selects names or how one uses them.
>>> I'd thought it meant the former, but your revised text sounds like the
>>> latter to me.
>> The concept behind this text was always about how one uses names, or
>> more precisely how code implementations treat them, because the authors
>> are of the opinion that it's a bad idea for implementations to hardcode
>> their handling of parameter based solely on the existence of the string
>> 'x-' at the start of the parameter name. I think the revised text I
>> provided captures this more clearly.
>
> Yes.  Thanks for clarifying.

Thanks for requesting clarification.

In my working copy I've changed that paragraph to:

   Implementations of application protocols MUST NOT programatically
   discriminate between "standard" and "non-standard" parameters based
   solely on the names of such parameters (i.e., based solely on
   whether the name begins with 'x-' or a similar string of characters).

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/