Re: Backwards compatibility myth [Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt>]

> IPv4 provides no mechanism whatever for addresses greater than 32 bits.
> Therefore, mathematically, there is no possible design for an IP with
> bigger addresses that is transparently backwards compatible. We've known
> that since at least 1992.

i guess you forget the discussion of variable length.  i hope we don't
have to rehash it here.

decisions were made.  some were quite bad.  v6 had some real zingers.
remember tla/nla?  no feature parity, such as dhcp (a war which has not
finished)?  it is almost as if it was designed to fail.

randy