Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space) to BCP

--On Saturday, February 11, 2012 11:00 -0200 Arturo Servin
<arturo.servin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10 Feb 2012, at 22:12, Chris Grundemann wrote:
>
>> Are you volunteering to buy everyone on earth a new CPE? If
>> not, who do you suggest will?
>
> 	I suggest the ISPs, they are charging for the service, right?

One additional observation about this particular line of
argument.

It seems to me that, to the extent to which this allocation idea
is part of a legitimate IPv6 transition strategy, we should be
listening carefully and with sympathy.  We can still debate
whether it is the best strategy, whether there are better ways
to do the same thing, etc., but I hope there is no one who will
argue against having strategies for moving forward other than
hoping that the world ends before the last IPv4 allocation is
given out by the RIRs.

But, as soon as one suggests that the alternative to this space
request is "volunteering to buy everyone on earth a new CPE", we
aren't talking about transition strategies any more.  If we
assume that end system networks will eventually either be
running IPv6 or that the IPv6-IPv4 transition will occur at
those boundaries, then that CPE equipment will need to be
replaced because most of it doesn't support IPv6.   I suppose an
ISP could be stupid enough to buy CPE now that supports "same
address range inside and outside" but does not support IPv6, but
such an ISP would be much too stupid to survive (with or without
help from us).

So the CPE will need to be upgraded.  There are potentially
interesting economic discussions about capitalization,
amortization, and deployment rates, but let's not pretend that
this allocation for CGN use is the alternate to replacing CPE --
unless it is really a plan for IPv4 Forever based on layers and
layers of address translation (and this is where I incorporate
my snarky comment about X.75 gateways by reference -- a comment,
I'm pleased to report, a few people have responded to with tales
of painful experiences in past lives).

>> if they were, we could just sign
>> everyone up for IPv6 capable CPE and skip the whole debate...
>> ;)

So, Chris, if you expect this allocation will avoid the costs of
signing everyone up for IPv6-capable CPE, what is your
transition plan?  Or are you advocating an IPv4-forever model?
If the latter, can you explain succinctly to the rest of us how
you expect it to work?

best,
  john