Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space) to BCP

On 02/10/2012 20:04, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>     > From: Doug Barton <dougb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>     > My point is that no matter how loudly you say, "Don't use this as
>     > 1918 space!" some users will do it anyway.
>
> And if they do, any problem that results is _their_ problem.

You snipped the bit of the my post that you're responding to where I
specifically disallowed this as a reasonable argument.

>     > That means that there is no reason to allocate this new block.
>
> No.

Let me boil it down even more for you. The new block's purpose is to
make collisions impossible. It cannot fulfill that purpose. So it
shouldn't be allocated.

> If people are using thing X in way A, _which is allowed by the definition of
> X_, then it's really rude/unfair for a responsible standards body to turn
> around and say 'ooops, now you can't use thing X in way A'.
>
> If, on the other hand, the standards body then says 'here's a new thing Y;
> don't use thing Y in way A', and people go ahead and use thing Y in way A,
> then the standards body can reasonably sit back and laugh at them and blow
> a raspberry at them when they complain.

Setting aside the fact that what you're suggesting is a silly and
childish way for any human to act (even taking hyperbole into account),
it's a very irresponsible way for an SDO to conduct themselves. And
that's assuming that this action doesn't have a cost, whereas the truth
is that it has several, both direct and indirect.

Doug

--

	It's always a long day; 86400 doesn't fit into a short.