Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space) to BCP

In message <6.2.5.6.2.20120209091221.082cb2f8@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, SM writes:
> Hi Chris,
> At 08:57 AM 2/9/2012, Chris Grundemann wrote:
> >http://www.apnic.net/publications/news/2011/final-8
>
> I am aware of the APNIC announcement.  That's one out of five regions.
>
> >Are you proposing that every ISP on the planet be given a /10 for
> >inside CGN use, rather than one single /10 being reserved for this
> >purpose?
>
> No.
>
> If I am not mistaken, IPv4 assignments are on a needs basis.  In my
> previous comment, I mentioned that RIRs are still providing unique
> IPv4 assignments to service providers that request IPv4
> addresses.  Even if the IANA pool was not exhausted, it is unlikely
> that an ISP would get a /20 due to the slow-start mechanism.
>
> Regards,
> -sm

In none of the discussions I've seen has anyone proposed forcing ISP's
to use this space.  It is being provided as a alternative, the same
away RFC 1918 space is offered as a alternative.

Today you get ask "have you considered RFC 1918 space?"  You can
still get space even if RFC 1918 space would have worked.  I suspect
a similar question, will be part of allocation proceedures, for this
space in the future.  You need to know that the applicant is aware
of this space.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC