Re: ITC copped out on UTC again

On 2012-02-09 10:41, Steven Bellovin wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2012, at 2:12 59PM, John C Klensin wrote:
>

>> --On Tuesday, February 07, 2012 10:45 -0800 james woodyatt
>> <jhw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> TAI has a fairly stable foundation in non-relativistic
>>> physics, which experience has shown to be somewhat resistant
>>> to the power of political bodies to modify at will, so it
>>> should be good enough for most running code on the Internet.
>> You obviously have not been in enough meetings in which
>> proposals were put forth, by political types with the best of
>> intentions, for regulations to improve the Internet...
>> regulations that would work really well if the speed of light
>> were adjusted upward by 10% or so and/or could be dialed up and
>> back by a bit to match regulatory convenience. :-(
>>
>> What was that about a free lunch?
>

> Yes.  A line I heard recently (from someone else whom I think is
> on this list) is that when you tell a politician that something
> violates the laws of physics, that statement is taken as a negotiating
> position.

I don't see the problem. An experiment in Italy has observed
super-luminal neutrinos, and a somewhat unlikely violation of
the 2nd law of thermodynamics would allow pigs to fly and all
NTP servers to update themselves simultaneously. Clearly these
are matters that any self-respecting politician could use in
negotiation.

I am much more worried about
http://internetsociety.org/events/internet-society-events/world-conference-international-telecommunications
than about UTC.