Re: The death John McCarthy

On Oct 27, 2011, at 7:07 PM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

> On 10/27/2011 11:15 PM, Eliot Lear wrote:
>> In that spirit, my understanding was that LISP was an homage,
>> and as such should not be viewed in a negative light.
>

> Unfortunately, what matters is the risk of the name's use being taken as disrespectful, no matter what was intended.  Sensitivities like this are not nuanced and do not ask questions.
>
> Last year, it didn't matter.  Five years from now it won't matter.  Today it does and possibly should.
>
> Today, the homage is to take a small action, to avoid possible sensitivities.

I think you mean "oversensitivity".

(By the way, http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+lisp says lisp is "Noun: A speech defect in which s is pronounced like th in thick and z is pronounced like th in this.")

Dr. McCarthy's legacy speaks for itself, and will be respected regardless of what names we use here - it can't be diminished so easily.

-Benson