Re: RFC 6302: "Internet-Facing Server Logging": No Word about Privacy?

Hi Dan,

I missed your mail. Sorry.

Yes, I understand what the document is trying to say. The insight that the presence of NAT also requires you to log the port number is certainly not a new insight.

My worry with the document is that if you have to give someone who deploys services such trivial information (as it is done with the draft) then it is quite likely that they also need to be told something about privacy. As the discussion around Web tracking shows there is little understanding of meet the privacy expectations of regulators.

Cullen had also raised privacy concerns in his review, see http://www6.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg65610.html, but his remarks had not been taken into consideration.

Ciao
Hannes