Re: Expiring a publication - especially standards track documents which are abandoned

On Oct 5, 2011, at 3:58 AM, Gellens, Randall wrote:

> I don't understand this aspect.  If an RFC is deployed, even widely
> deployed, but no new extensions are being done, and no developers are
> clamoring for changes, you want to move it to Historic?

Yes. He misses the point of what we do. We do what we do not to achieve some particular status, but to meet a technical and market need. If the objective is to achieve standard status, we can spend our energies getting it there. If the issue is meeting technological needs, the statuses are mile markers, not destinations.