Re: Last Call: <draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-oam-considerations-01.txt> (The Reasons for Selecting a Single Solution for MPLS-TP OAM) to Informational RFC

Brian,

I think that points that Huub is raising are:

a)  The text quoted from page 113 RFC 5317 "the architecture allows for a single OAM technology for LSPs, PWs" is being used as (part of) the rational for only having a single OAM solution, however page 12 of RFC 5317 states that the subsequent slides represent an agreed starting point for the work.

b) The IETF have developed two different solutions, one for LSP and another for PWs and this confirms that the quoted text was just a starting point.

I agree with you that, in some cases for good reasons, more than one solution is developed and deployed.

Regards,

Malcolm

Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx

30/09/2011 03:47 PM

huubatwork@xxxxxxxxx
cc
ietf@xxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: Last Call: <draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-oam-considerations-01.txt>        (The Reasons for Selecting a Single Solution for MPLS-TP OAM)        to        Informational RFC

Huub,

On 2011-09-30 20:19, Huub van Helvoort wrote:
> All,
>
> Section 1,1 also contains the text:
>    [RFC5317] includes the analysis that "it is technically feasible that
>    the existing MPLS architecture can be extended to meet the
>    requirements of a Transport profile, and that the architecture allows
>    for a single OAM technology for LSPs, PWs, and a deeply nested
>    network."
>
> This is a quote from slide 113 in the PDF version of RFC5317 and should
> be read in realtion to the statement on slide 12 of the same RFC:
>
> "This presentation is a collection of assumptions, discussion points
>  and decisions that the combined group has had during the months of
>  March and April, 2008
>  This represents the *agreed upon starting point* for the technical
>  analysis of the T-MPLS requirements from the ITU-T and the MPLS
>  architecture to meet those requirements"
>
> So the quoted text in the draft is one of the assumptions.
>
> The fact that there are currently *two* OAM mechanisms (and not a
> *single*), i.e. one for PW and one for LSP proves that the assumption
> was not correct.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your logic. You seem to be saying that
the fact that two solutions have been designed proves that the assumption
that a single solution is possible was false. That doesn't follow at
all. The engineering profession has a long history of producing multiple
solutions where a single one was possible, and this seems to be just
another such case.

This isn't news. I quote from RFC 1958 (June 1996):

"  3.2 If there are several ways of doing the same thing, choose one.
  If a previous design, in the Internet context or elsewhere, has
  successfully solved the same problem, choose the same solution unless
  there is a good technical reason not to.  Duplication of the same
  protocol functionality should be avoided as far as possible, without
  of course using this argument to reject improvements."

       Brian