Re: Last Call: <draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-oam-considerations-01.txt> (The Reasons for Selecting a Single Solution for MPLS-TP OAM) to Informational RFC

Tom,

Please see in line below.

Regards,

Malcolm

Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx

29/09/2011 07:48 AM

huubatwork@xxxxxxxxx
cc
The IESG <iesg-secretary@xxxxxxxx>, ietf@xxxxxxxx, IETF-Announce <ietf-announce@xxxxxxxx>
Subject

On Sep 29, 2011, at 1:06 AM, Huub van Helvoort wrote:

> All,
>
> I propose to completely remove section 5 of this draft.
>
> The reason:
>
> The IETF should *NOT* document any comment on any "multiple standards"
> developed by other SDOs which are outside of the IETF's scope.
>
> Especially standards like like SONET/SDH, CDMA/GSM.
>
> The current text reflects the author's impressions, and since I don't
> believe that the authors were involved in the debates when these
> standards were developed, they *DO NOT KNOW ENOUGH* to comment
> authoritatively on them.

                Isn't that why this draft is targeted as an *individual and informational* draft?  Since that is the case, I don't see how your point is relevant to the document at hand.

[MB] The last call is for consensus approval by the IETF so this draft, if published, will be "the opinion of the IETF".  Therefore the point raised by Huub is relevant.

> The IETF should refrain from documenting things that might offend
> other SDOs concerning standards issues in which IETF was or is not
> involved.

                That is your opinion. However, please observe that other SDOs document and cross-reference each others' works all the time often adding their "2 cents".  For example, take what the BBF does with many IETF standards.

[MB] Big difference between referencing the work of another SDO from a standard and issuing a standard that make inaccurate comments about a standard that was developed in another SDO.

                --Tom