Re: 240/4 unreservation (was RE: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-03.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Transition Space) to Informational RFC)

On 27 Sep 2011, at 5:45 , Christian Huitema wrote:

>> if an address space is somehow set aside, we have no mechanism to enforce that only ISP use it. So we have to assume it will be used by whoever feels like it.

How is that different from the current situation? Is there a reason why potential users of 240/4 will refrain from that use because it's called "class E" but not if it's called "ISP private"?

And who cares anyway? If people feel it's a good idea to use addresses in the 240/4 block, more power to them. That saves more usable addresses for other uses.

> It is also important to avoid mistakes during the transition period from IPv4 to IPv6. I understand that many actors are anxious and waiting for some kind of fix. This is a common scenario for making substantial mistakes...

Agree. We have to make absolutely sure that all the hacks that are going to be implemented to stretch IPv4 don't find their way into the IPv6 world.