RE: [Softwires] [BEHAVE] Last Call:<draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih-06.txt> (Dual Stack Hosts Using"Bump-in-the-Host" (BIH)) to Proposed Standard

> tunneling). It may be that the recommendation is specifically against
> *stateful* double translation

That may be reasonable. And the document may reflect that.

> > >   IETF recommends using dual-stack or tunneling based solutions
for
> > >    IPv6 transition and specifically recommends against deployments
> > >    utilizing double protocol translation.  Use of BIH together
with a
> > >    NAT64 is NOT RECOMMENDED [RFC6180].

One could suggest rephrasing that para with something like this -

This document doesn't recommend using BIH together with NAT64
 [RFC6180]. Of course, the adoption of this or any solution (e.g
 dual-stack and/or any solution that eases the path to IPv6
(and accommodate residual IPv4)) would be subjected to the
overall cost-effectiveness, as determined by operators per their
environments/constraints.

Cheers,
Rajiv

On Behalf
> Of teemu.savolainen@xxxxxxxxx
> Sent: Monday, September 26, 2011 11:20 AM
> To: satoru.matsushima@xxxxxxxxx; ietf@xxxxxxxx
> Cc: softwires@xxxxxxxx; behave@xxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [Softwires] [BEHAVE] Last
Call:<draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih-
> 06.txt> (Dual Stack Hosts Using"Bump-in-the-Host" (BIH)) to Proposed
Standard

> Please note that this statement was included after quite long and
heated
> discussion in behave WG and because it came clear that IETF
recommendation
> is against double protocol translation (in favor of dual-stack and
> tunneling). It may be that the recommendation is specifically against
> *stateful* double translation (although that was not said aloud, if I
recall
> correctly).
>
> I would assume softwires follows these same IETF guidelines and
therefore is
> now focusing solely on stateless approaches(?). If the IETF opinion
has
> changed so that also stateful double translation solutions are now ok
for
> IETF, then that should perhaps be reflected in this document as well.
>
> Unfortunately, I did not have chance to go to softwires interim, but
please
> let us know if the discussions there impact also the quoted
recommendation.

> Best regards,
>
> 	Teemu

IPv4-only
> > >   applications think they are talking with IPv4 peers by local
> > >   synthesis of IPv4 addresses.  This draft obsoletes RFC 2767 and
RFC