Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-03.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Transition Space) to Informational RFC

On Sep 25, 2011, at 2:34 PM, John C Klensin wrote:

> --On Sunday, September 25, 2011 13:25 -0400 Keith Moore
> <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> Remembering that an ISP who wants to avoid the use of public
>>> IPv4 addresses on its backbone/infrastructure has the option
>>> of simply converting that infrastructure to IPv6, tunneling
>>> public-address IPv4 packets (both its own and those of its
>>> customers) over that IPv6 infrastructure using a tunneling
>>> approach of its choice. Longer-term, that approach makes the
>>> ISP far more IPv6-ready, while "more private/shared IPv4
>>> space" is just another dead end.
>>
>> Yes, but even if it does this (and I agree that it's a
>> strategy well worth considering) that ISP is going to need
>> IPv4 addresses to assign to its customers until the customers
>> migrate to IPv6.
>
> So? I was sort of assuming that an ISP who was aggressive about
> converting their internal infrastructure would be freeing up
> public IPv4 addresses for endpoint and boundary use in fairly
> large quantities.  Renumbering shouldn't be a lot harder than,
> well, renumbering.

My assumption is that most ISPs are already using RFC 1918 for internal infrastructure whenever possible in order to free up more public IPv4 addresses to assign to customers.  At least, I hope that's the case.

Keith