Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

On 9/19/2011 11:04 AM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
- If the IAOC or the Trust requires knowledge of IESG or IAB plans, intentions,
thinking, etc.. the new member / Trustee will not have the knowledge of the
corresponding I* Chair.

I meant to explain the subtlety about the I* perspective that took me awhile to understand:

I initial assumed their contribution was insight about the respective I* body. On that basis, having another member from that same body ought to be reasonable.

What I've found, instead, is that specifically the chairs have a much broader perspective and offer comments on on IETF and non-IETF /community/ issues that a random member of their body is not likely to have.

So Marshall's point has some validity, but the loss is likely to be much more significant than that. This is why keeping I* "involvement" is essential, IMO.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking