Re: [nfsv4] TSVDIR review of draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-dns-srv-namespace

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Joe Touch <touch@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 9/12/2011 8:03 AM, Nico Williams wrote:
> You're locating the NFS service. You're using that to setup a domainroot.
> The former is a DNS SRV issue. The latter is an endhost configuration issue.

No.  We do not normally locate the NFS service.  If you know a server,
that's the server hosting the NFS service.  This is a distinct concept
to "NFS server".  And the whole point is to avoid end host
configuration, if by end host you mean the *client*.

> Microsoft's approach is to basically define a specific pattern to their
> FQDNs - using nonstandard syntax - to indicate that the server is a MS
> product:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961719.aspx
>
> I don't agree with this approach; most others who use SRV records use TXT
> fields, and RFC 3088 provides a correct example of SRV use for LDAP.

I'm uninterested in saying no to plainly working and deployed
solutions out of dogmatic inflexibility.  Update RFC2782 if you like.

>> If it's time to go update RFC2782, well, let's, but let's not hold up
>> the rest of the world over it.
>
> It's up to you if you want to start by redefining SRV records.

I'm unwilling to do that because I don't believe we have to.

I'm even less willing to use TXT RRs to duplicate SRV RR functionality.

Nico