Re: Gen-ART LC Review of draft-eggert-successful-bar-bof-06

>> This is truly a tricky point.  Often, organizers of these "bar BoFs"
>> make great effort to get an AD involved and attending, make it clear
>> that they're having this because their BoF proposal got in too late or
>> was denied, and/or talk about a proposed WG charter.  These side
>> meetings are often advertised during open area meetings and other
>> working-group sessions, and everyone is encouraged to attend.
>
> It seems like this draft discourages that sort of meeting in the first place, doesn't it?

It does, but they will happen nonetheless.  The draft encourages
small, invited groups, but people *want* larger, open meetings, and
they'll do them.  I think it's important that we do what we can to get
people to make it clear what rules they're applying -- in that case,
and in all cases.

>> NEW
>>   Thus, a Contribution that is made at one of the side
>>   meetings or other "unofficial" or "semi-official" events described in
>>   this document could still be under the applicability of the
>>   IETF's IPR rules.  If you have a question regarding the applicability
>>   of the IETF IPR rules in any specific context or to any specific
>>   activity, you should consult your attorney or make an inquiry to the
>>   IESG.
>>
>>   If a meeting occurs during an IETF week, is open to all, and clearly
>>   relates to current or proposed work for the IETF, those who attend
>>   will have a reasonable expectation that the IETF's rules apply.
>>   The organizers of these meetings are, therefore, strongly encouraged
>>   to make an explicit statement at the beginning of the meetings to
>>   announce whether or not they do apply (by using the "Note Well" text
>>   [NOTEWELL]).  If they do not apply, the announcement should
>>   specify what confidentiality and IPR terms are in effect.  In the absence
>>   of such a statement, attendees are encouraged to explicitly ask.
> but I guess I'm looking for a way that someone could explicitly choose to have a meeting
> where Note Well did not apply.

I agree, and I hope my suggested text says that.  If more needs to be
said, we (for some value of "we" that might mean "Lars and Gonzalo")
can take another stab.

Barry