Re: Pachyderm

---- Original Message -----
From: <ned+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Yaron Sheffer" <yaronf.ietf@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2011 11:54 PM
> > can you please explain *why* publishing conformance statements would be
> > such a bad idea? I am not being cynical, I really want to understand the
> > reasoning.
>
> (I don't know Pete's reasons, but I suspect they're not dissimilar from my
> own. Which are ...)
>
> The main problem with conformance languge is that conformance has a nasty way
> of becoming an end unto itself, and the *reasons* why conformance is desired
> get lost along the way. The result is technical compliance to a bunch of words
> on paper that don't provide an actual, useful, result like, say, insisting on
> interoperability does.

There is a part of our repertoire that demands compliance, which I equate with
conformance, and that is an SNMP MIB module.  RFC4181 requires every standard
MIB module to contain a compliance statement (as defined in RFC2580) which nails
down a minimum interoperable set of objects and access thereto, from the
sometimes vast range defined in the MIB module.

I see no reason why this principle should not be applied to a protocol, to its
fields, its range of values and the ability to send or receive it.

Tom Petch