Re: Discuss criteria for documents that advance on the standards track

Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The biggest problem with the current voting system (other than
> misleading labels, which do cause real problems of their own) is the
> presumption that the document should go forward no matter how few
> IESG members read the document.

   Keith makes a good point here; but I wouldn't agree to any rule
that a particular number must "read" a document. Some ADs quite
properly defer actual reading to review teams.

> So No Objection votes from ADs who didn't read the document count as
> Yes votes,

   No, they don't. (But I can't ask folks posting to this thread to
actually _understand_ the difference.)

   Roughly, the rule says "enough" ADs must enter a "position" before
a document can be approved. Basically, "No-Objection" says the AD is
"somewhat" familiar with the document and actively consents to approving
it.

   These "positions" are _NOT_ "votes".

> but there's also a presumption in the rules (as well as pressure from
> other ADs who want to get documents off the agenda) to clear Discuss
> votes in favor of moving a document forward whether or not the
> identified issues have been adequately addressed.

   This is somewhat true, but the "pressure" is highly variable. The
agendas _are_ too crowded (IMHO); but in most cases sufficient progress
will have been made before the telechat that only a few seconds are
needed to agree to "AD-followup" status.

   When there is no progress between telechats (most often due to
unresponsive authors/editors), there _is_ some pressure to reduce
what a DISCUSS asks for. It might help for non-IESG folk to chime in
on whether this is good or bad...

   (There _are_ cases where the responsible AD puts quite a bit of
pressure on the DISCUSS-holder: that's really an internal issue which
I don't believe this list should be discussing.)

> (One thing that I didn't mention that also needs to be fixed if
> it's still the case is the presumption that the responsible AD
> votes Yes for the document. I don't know what the tools do now,
> but this Yes vote used to be automatically filled-in.)

   We're seeing a number of cases where the responsible AD holds a
DISCUSS at the time of the telechat -- generally because LastCall
hadn't ended yet when the document was placed on the agenda.

   IMHO, there's nothing there that needs "fixing".

> Arguably when a poor quality document gets to IESG, it's a failure
> on the part of the WG to do due diligence.

   IMHO, there _are_ poor-quality documents that get on the IESG agenda.
I'm not sure it helps to allocate blame...

   But there is a huge variance between WGs on diligence. I am alarmed
by the sheer number of COMMENTS saying in essence, "This document is
not specific enough to guide an implementor to an interoperable
implementation." To me, that's really-close to DISCUSS territory...

   However, we really don't have a process for improving situations
like that -- other than for it to be a DISCUSS and for authors to
actually be responsive (which would probably require repeating at
least one LastCall). :^(

   In the absence of such a process, I really can't blame ADs for
reducing such issues from DISCUSS to COMMENT, and entering ABSTAIN
if they think the issue is serious.

> But the problem is actually deeper than that - it's partially
> structural (in that IETF partitions almost all work into narrowly
> focused WGs who don't represent a sufficiently broad spectrum of
> interests), and partially due to a failure to consistently apply
> good engineering principles across all of IETF.

   +1

   This problem, of course, is endemic in organizations that depend
on volunteers. And I really don't have suggestions on how to ensure
sufficient wide-area review, though review teams certainly help.

   I wonder if there's some room for process-improvement by formalizing
some role for review teams...

> IESG's assuming that the WG has produced a quality result basically
> works to mask the other problems with IETF's way of doing work.

   I don't agree that's what IESG members "assume" -- they IMHO instead
presume that documenting ideas (even not-fully-baked ideas) is a
mostly-unmitigated good-thing.

> But even if WGs generally did produce high quality results without
> issues (which I don't think is the case now), IESG review should
> still not presume that they do.   There will always be some failures
> at the WG level, and the IESG's job is to try to catch those.

   I don't think we have universal agreement on that as a goal.

   Of course, neither do we have universal agreement that anyone else
has the job to "catch these". Some of us quite plainly believe it
shouldn't be anyone's job to "catch these": that ideas should be
published and we should see whether "rough consensus" emerges later.

   (All of which brings us to the actual question: when advancing a
maturity-level, what constitutes sufficient "consensus"? Arguably,
folks will expect a higher maturity level to indicate that the
"standard" is ready to be handed to an implementor, and merely by
following it, sufficient interoperability is ensured. Alas, we
really don't have a process to address that expectation...)

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>