Re: 2119bis

Frank,

On 8/30/11 12:15 AM, Frank Ellermann wrote:
> On 29 August 2011 23:36, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
>> staring at http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?eid=499 for
>> long enough, I finally decided to submit an I-D that is intended to
>> obsolete RFC 2119.
> There are literally thousands of documents (not only RFCs, also W3C
> standards, etc.) with normative references to RFC 2119 (sic!) instead
> of BCP 14, and I see no compelling reason to render these references
> as "historic".

On the basis of this logic we wouldn't be able to supercede any of our
key RFCs.

> [...]

> How about trying an "updates 2119" and status BCP, where BCP 14 then
> consists of 2119 and 2119bis, and old RFC 2119 references are still
> okay "as is".

What ends up happening, then, is that we need Internet lawyers to
traipse through references.  I challenge you or anyone else here to list
all the process RFCs that update RFC 2026.  Let's not repeat that fiasco
with 2119.