Followup on Gen-ART Telechat Review of draft-ietf-dime-ikev2-psk-diameter-08

This is a followup on my previous gen-art reviews of draft-ietf-dime-ikev2-psk-diameter based on version 09. I realize that came out a couple of weeks ago, and this followup may be overtaken by events. I am sending it anyway on the off chance it's still meaningful.

This version partially addresses my concerns (below), in that it now specifies a default mechanism for PSK generation. If I understand correctly, use of this mechanism is completely optional. That is, the actual mechanism chosen is still a matter of out-of-band agreement between the HAAA and the IKEv2 peer. And if I read correctly, there is still no way for either to declare or negotiate what mechanism they plan to use.

I realize the draft assumes that this will be used in the context of a "protocol leveraging this diameter application", and that said protocol should specify the key derivation mechanism to be used. I interpret (perhaps incorrectly) to mean that a given IKEv2 peer and a given HAAA are expected to be implemented for a particular context, and that the authors do not expect an IKEv2 peer from one context to work with an HAAA from another. Furthermore, it appears to me that if 2 such mismatched peers tried to communicate, the only way they could determine they were incompatible would be through authentication failures due to a key mismatch. I'm not sure that's an appropriate assumption for an IETF proposed standard.

Ideally, I think things would be improved if the  included key derivation procedure was promoted to MUST implement, and a mechanism were added where the peers can declare or negotiate the intent to use some other procedure if they choose to do so. At the minimum, it would be good to have a way where two peers could detect a key derivation mismatch early in the process.