Re: https

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Barton" <dougb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Joel jaeggli" <joelja@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "t.petch" <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "IETF Discussion" <ietf@xxxxxxxx>;
<webmaster@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2011 11:00 PM
Subject: Re: https

> Joel,
>
> I don't know what "It doesn't" is supposed to mean, but visiting
> https://www.ietf.org/* today with firefox it is still reporting that the
> certificate expired yesterday.

Doug

How I interpreted the reply is that some mailing list archives can be accessed
without using TLS, typically by going to the Working Group page and selecting
the archive from there; v6ops is such a one.

But as I pointed out yesterday, if you go to the ietf mailing list pages, such
as
http://www.ietf.org/list/nonwg.html
then that contains some 250 or more html anchors with a scheme of https:, and
that is the only way I know of accessing some of the archives (I was looking for
the IESG comments on the approval of an I-D, comments which I had missed at
announce time).

I tried editing the URI to remove the 's' but the IETF website puts it back
again:-(

Tom Petch

> Given the volume of discussion about the topic starting yesterday when
> the problem started one could easily make a case for "it's still broken"
> being a significant "issue."
>
> cc'ing the address listed as "Report Website Errors" on the home page.
>

> Doug
>

> On 08/26/2011 07:44, Joel jaeggli wrote:
> > It doesn't...
> >
> > http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/v6ops/current/maillist.html
> >
> > On 8/26/11 00:18 , t.petch wrote:
> >> Why does the IETF website consider it necessary to use TLS to access the
mailing
> >> list archives, when they all appeared without it, or any other security, in
the
> >> first place?
> >>
> >> Besides all the usual hassle of TLS, today the certificate is reported by
IE as