RE: Routing at the Edges of the Internet

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011, Worley, Dale R (Dale) wrote:

> > From: Adam Novak [interfect@xxxxxxxxx]
> >
> > "Say I wanted to send data to my friend in the flat next to mine. It is
> > idiotic that nowadays, I would use the bottleneck subscriber line to
> > my upstream ISP and my crippled upload speed and push it all the way
> > across their infrastructure to my neighbors ISP and back to the Wifi
> > router in reach of mine."
>
> This is a valid point, but it's also rather rare that one wants to
> send large amounts of data directly to a friend in a neighboring flat
> but one has not manually adjusting the local routing to take that into
> account.
>
> > If each home or mobile device was essentially [its] own autonomous
> > system, what would this do to routing table size? To ASN space
> > utilization?
>
> There must be at least a few hundred million mobile phones with data
> capability, and a similar number of homes and small businesses with
> WiFi systems.  So we can estimate that a large fraction of a billion
> entries would be added to the routing tables.  How would that work?

I don't see this as a routing difficulty since the updated tables would be
highly local to the edge routers which would only need to know about
the more precise route between peers.

BUT I see enormous issues in terms of providing the capability in a secure
form that can be successfully enabled by the average end user. Also,
this is more than a routing issue since most file sharing involves
an itermediary with both edge devices connecting to a remote server. Not
only do the edge routers need to be configured for secure edge routing,
but the systems need to have applications which would deliver data
directly.

I think that folks with a requirement for local sharing will figure out
a local solution, often sharing an AP and uplink. If there is a business
case here, it wouldn't be hard for an enterprising AP vendor to offer
APs which create a shared network, perhaps even providing the 'server'
component. Could also be a device which has two radios and hence can
connect to two (or more) in range networks.

Dave Morris